POSITION: LEGAL COUNSEL
exactEarth Inc. is an established and growing data services company that seeks to add a Corporate Counsel to its team at its corporate head office in Cambridge.
Our satellites gather data on global shipping, giving us a big-picture view of maritime activity on earth. The raw data is then streamed into our Big Data predictive pipeline, producing actionable insights for organizations ranging from environmental monitoring to search and rescue.
This role will provide broad exposure to a variety of matters related to the management and operations of an international publicly traded technology company.
LEGAL – General:
Provide the organization with legal support in response to ongoing business needs which include, but are not limited to:
- Engineering, Patents
- Products & Product / Software related licensing
- Risk Management
LEGAL – Contracts:
- Working with members of SMT and the directors, provide review, recommendations, drafting and negotiation of terms and conditions, for the purpose of achieving effective and low risk legal outcomes for the company.
- Review and respond to requests for modifications to sales related documents: Reseller Agreements, Demo Agreements, System Integrator Agreements, and non-standard quotations.
- Review all proposals prior to submission to potential customers and provide a summary of risks and/ or non-standard conditions.
- Identify legal risks and advise management regarding compliance to applicable laws and exactEarth’s internal policies.
- Review all related exactEarth Policies: Confidentiality, Business Ethics, etc.
- Prepare Software licences and amendments to the Data License Agreement (DLA) and End User Licence Agreements, (EULA) as required.
- Assist with public company filings, potentially along side external legal counsel
Patents & Regulatory Matters:
- Support Operations and Engineering re Capital Expenditure purchase/contract document review
- Support Engineering on Patent and Regulatory Matters where required
- Support the CEO, CFO, Business Development in the drafting of partnership agreements, potential M&A due diligence and document generation
- Working with the CEO, CFO & HR support the requirements of corporate legal matters related to good governance practices, and board governance documentation with the expectation that over time this role will assume acting as Corporate Secretary.
- Assist with Board workload and portal for the Board
External Legal Counsel:
- Co-ordinate with external legal counsel, ensuring cost effective balancing of budget between internal and external legal resourcing.
Counter Party Risk Assessments:
- Coordinate third party due diligence assessments for anti-corruption.
Administration – General:
- Coordination and tracking of all legal documents and contracts.
- Experience working with a technology company on the customer facing side of its business, including experience drafting, negotiating and advising on a variety of commercial transactions.
- Knowledge of publicly traded companies and the data services industry.
- In-depth knowledge of commercial law in a variety of areas relevant to technology transactions with an emphasis on intellectual property and global privacy law.
- Sound judgment and a level of commercial sophistication gained from being on the front-lines of drafting and negotiating numerous types of technology transactions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong work ethic and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at the same time, effectively adapt to changes in those priorities, handle competing demands, meet deadlines
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Membership in good standing in the Law Society of Upper Canada with a minimum of  years’ experience, including at least 2 years “in-house”, preferably in the software industry.
- Ability to adopt a flexible work schedule from time to time to accommodate international time zones and/or peak work periods
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA
Customer Support, Intermediate
Years of Experience: 1-3 with Post-Secondary
Please submit your resume, and a covering letter describing why you are a unique fit for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org citing “Legal Counsel” in the subject of your message.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exactEarth; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Agency calls will not be accepted. All final candidates will be required to provide professional references and complete a background check, which will include a criminal background check and may include a credit check and verification of education and previous employment.
exactEarth is committed to equity and diversity. exactEarth endorses and practices the principles of equal opportunity employment. In addition, we are committed to diversity and inclusion. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with AODA and the Human Rights Code.