POSITION: IT SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
exactEarth Ltd., based in Cambridge, Ontario is a data services company that leverages advanced microsatellite technology to deliver monitoring solutions characterized by high performance, reliability, security, and simplicity.
exactEarth’s service, exactAIS™, is a global vessel tracking and maritime domain monitoring system based on a world leading space-based AIS (Automatic Identification System) detection technology.
exactEarth operates an IT-based “data factory” to create the services that help our customers save lives, guard the boarders, protect the environment and enhance trade. In our system we collect maritime vessel signals and using satellites and terrestrial sources around the world. We transport this signal data to our world-class data center in Toronto. From there, our proprietary software processes the signals into millions of messages per day about ship locations around the world. Finally, these messages are packaged into services and products and distributed electronically to our customers all over the world. All data produced is archived in a large data store to provide historical data products in addition to our near-real-time feeds.
As the IT Systems Administrator, you will be responsible for evolving, supporting and maintaining the day to day 24/7 operational IT services provided by exactEarth with a strong focus on the Linux driven components. In addition, new applications and supporting software are being deployed regularly. You will support/evolve the systems and supporting software that comprise our operational services. At exactEarth, you will be part of a Tier 2 team of 4 people reporting into the IT Manager. You will play an important role in our dynamic organization.
- Support the internal and external available operational IT services with a strong focus on the Linux driven components.
- Work with the team to continually evolve the IT infrastructure while maintaining high reliability and uptime.
- Implement improvements to improve customer satisfaction.
- Develop and implement ideas and projects to improve the efficiency of our systems and processes.
- Datacenter and hardware management.
- Provide Tier 2 support on a 2-hour, on-call, rotating basis.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of operating systems and components, wide area network topologies and software, data processing, programming, systems design, database technologies, problem analysis and hardware.
- Strong knowledge of the Linux operating system and Postgres database technology.
- Proven virtualization experience (VMware). Proven experience of systems management, IT processes and operational support tools.
- Security and infrastructure experience.
- Windows workstation and server management experience is desirable.
- Python programming skills are desirable but not essential.
- Minimum of 2 years of directly related experience in data center management.
- Team-spirit and confident professional manner with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA
Please submit your resume, and a covering letter describing why you are a unique fit for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org citing “IT Systems Administrator” in the subject line of your message.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exactEarth; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Agency calls will not be accepted. All final candidates will be required to provide professional references and complete a background check, which will include a criminal background check and may include a credit check and verification of education and previous employment.
exactEarth is committed to equity and diversity. exactEarth endorses and practices the principles of equal opportunity employment. In addition, we are committed to diversity and inclusion. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with AODA and the Human Rights Code.