POSITION: Software Developer
exactEarth is a data services company leading the way in delivering global maritime vessel information. Combining data from a constellation of satellites with ground-based sources, we collect and deliver the highest quality ship movement information to customers around the world. exactEarth’s data service is a global vessel tracking and maritime domain monitoring system that provides authorities unprecedented visibility into global maritime traffic, used to protect the environment, aid in search and rescue efforts as well as transport cargo more efficiently.
We’re seeking an enthusiastic and knowledgeable Software Developer to join the Development team here at exactEarth.
SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Reporting directly to the Director of Data Science and Signal Processing, the key responsibilities would be:
- Collaborate with other Developers in the group as well as members in the Operations team to plan, design, develop, test, and maintain streaming data pipelines
- Design, program and deliver on projects related to the processing and storage of data within designated schedules and budgets
- Support the development of projects from inception through alpha/beta testing and final delivery
- Identify, communicate and overcome development problems and creative challenges related to complex distributed systems
- Revise and troubleshoot development work as required and
- Contribute to and actively follow technical documentation related to interactive development cycles.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent subject
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience in a Software Development role
- Four or more years’ experience using developing software with Python
- Two or more years’ in other object-oriented languages such as Java or C# is a plus
- Experience with streaming data processing
- Experience in big data technologies, such as Hadoop, HBase, Spark, etc.
- Good understanding of the traditional relational databases preferably PostgreSQL
- Proven ability to design and implement highly robust and scalable distributed software solutions
- Team player, enthusiastic and capable of working in a fast, dynamic environment
- Robust initiative and the ability to work with minimal oversight
- Power-user capabilities with the Linux operating system
- Capable of using a distributed version control system such as Git
- Understanding of geospatial information systems is an asset
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive salary and benefits
- The flexibility to setup your development environment with your preferred software tools and operating system
Please submit your resume, and a covering letter describing why you are a unique fit for this position, to email@example.com citing “Software Developer” in the subject of your message.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exactEarth; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Agency calls will not be accepted. All final candidates will be required to provide professional references and complete a background check, which will include a criminal background check and may include a credit check and verification of education and previous employment.
exactEarth is committed to equity and diversity. exactEarth endorses and practices the principles of equal opportunity employment. In addition, we are committed to diversity and inclusion. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with AODA and the Human Rights Code.