POSITION: Data Scientist
exactEarth is a data services company leading the way in delivering global maritime vessel information and value-added products/analytics. Combining data from a constellation of satellites with ground-based sources, we collect and deliver the highest quality ship movement information to customers around the world.
exactEarth’s data service is a global vessel tracking and maritime domain monitoring system that provides authorities data and information services about global maritime traffic.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and knowledgeable Data Scientist to join the Development team here at exactEarth.
SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The data scientist will work closely with business stakeholders to understand their goals and determine how data can be used to achieve those goals. They will design data modeling processes, create algorithms and models to extract the data to meet the business needs, then help analyze the data and share insights with peers. The key responsibilities would be:
- Collaborate with all stakeholders in the company, in particular, Business Development, Sales and Marketing and Product Management to mine, clean, analyze and provide insights into data based on internal and external customer requests.
- Understand the data pipeline and its many derived products and services.
- Create and maintain internal and external customer analytic reports and create professional presentations for internal and external end users
- Revise and troubleshoot work with the Software Development team and Customer Support as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Master’s in Computer Science, Mathematics or an equivalent subject
- Five or more years’ experience in Java/Python
- Three or more years of data analysis experience using Pandas or R
- Three or more years’ experience working with traditional relational database preferably PostgreSQL
- One or more years’ experience in big data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark
- Experience with spatial data processing
- Experience using Jupyter Notebook
- Experience in data visualization and interpretation using platforms such as Tableau or equivalent
- Experience developing on the Linux operating system
- Team player, enthusiastic, willing to learn and capable of working in a fast, dynamic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with excellent verbal, writing and presentation abilities
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Ability to work with minimal oversight with an inquisitive mindset.
- Experience with Spark MLlib, sci-kit learn and/or TensorFlow
- Understanding of Automatic Identification System (AIS) data
- Understanding of Maritime applications and services
- Power-user capabilities with the Linux operating system
- Capable of using a distributed version control system such as GitLab
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive salary and benefits.
Our company is based in Cambridge, Ontario and if this seems like it might be an interesting opportunity, we would love to hear from you.
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in exactEarth; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Agency calls will not be accepted. All final candidates will be required to provide professional references and complete a background check, which will include a criminal background check and may include a credit check and verification of education and previous employment.
exactEarth is committed to equity and diversity. exactEarth endorses and practices the principles of equal opportunity employment. In addition, we are committed to diversity and inclusion. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with AODA and the Human Rights Code.
exactEarth is following COVID-19 regulations as directed by the Government of Ontario. Exercising personal hygiene, physical distancing, wearing masks & monitoring personnel as required in the office. Interviews will be held over applicable video tool.